Since 1984, the IT industry has looked to Cisco for technology innovation. The company continues to transform the ways people collaborate, communicate, and connect.
Printing and shipping product training manuals to a global customer base had become costly and time-consuming.
Cisco printed roughly two training manuals per customer per year, spending nearly $700,000 annually just to print updates. Meanwhile, more and more customers were requesting digital documentation.
Recognizing the customer service benefits and cost savings of a move to digital, Cisco set out to:
- End its reliance on print documentation
- Digitize vast amounts of existing printed manuals
- Provide customers with on-demand mobile access to product manuals
- Improve relationships and communication with its customers
- Move to digital-first document production
- Cut costs
Aptara mapped an end-to-end content solution, from app design and development through template design and data extraction, conversion, enrichment, and coding.
To realize this strategy, Aptara designed and built a content delivery system and eReader platform for hosting, securing, distributing, and viewing Cisco training materials worldwide. In addition, Aptara digitized and enhanced Cisco’s legacy print material. The Cisco Training Distribution platform:
- Works both online and offline and syncs across all browsers and mobile devices
- Includes an eReader app and custom “bookshelf” (a web app for PCs and laptops, and a mobile app for iOS and Android)
- Contains interactive digital manuals with note-taking, bookmarking, image magnification, and keyword search capabilities
- Provides content management for adding, editing, and deleting course materials
- Includes an administration portal for assigning and managing permissions
- Enables version control for displaying different content to different users
- Employs a customizable graphical user interface (GUI) with rotating banners for internal promotions
- Offers online course registration, course scheduling, and real-time messaging
By rethinking how content is managed and presented, Cisco boosted customer engagement via a uniform digital channel, giving it a competitive advantage.
Aptara’s cost-effective, smart content solution:
- Saves Cisco hundreds of thousands of dollars annually in printing, shipping, and labor costs
- Meets its customers’ needs for convenient, on-demand access
- Enables the same content to be accessed via a mobile device, PC, or offline
- Improves stickiness and customer engagement
- Provides access to more training and product documentation than ever before, promoting customer loyalty
- Standardizes source content in a single, flexible digital format (HTML) that simplifies its reuse, facilitating new digital products and revenue streams