Expediting Compliance: Modernized Financial Reporting
Since 1792, when the New York Stock Exchange opened its doors to accommodate the stock brokers who congregated on Wall Street, this organization has handled the regulatory filing needs of America’s publicly traded companies. Over time, its offerings expanded to financial reporting services. Its clients include many of the largest companies and most widely recognized brands in the world.
The company found itself in the midst of the digital publishing revolution with more than two centuries of accumulated documents. Maintaining market share meant offering its content to its customers digitally, whenever and wherever they wanted to access it.
In addition, legislation such as Dodd-Frank, Volcker, and Sarbanes-Oxley mandated new financial reporting formats, including XBRL (eXtensible Business Reporting Language) and HTML, with which public companies must now comply—and compliance demands new expertise, new processes, and faster turnaround times.
Finally, most of the company’s manual production processes were performed at locations in the United States with high per-employee costs.
Aptara designed and implemented a streamlined transition to a digital workflow that includes custom data processing to expedite compliant reporting and filing and incorporates secure mobile delivery. Getting there included:
- Assembling a 1,600-person dedicated team, including more than 1,000 financial analysts and chartered accountants
- Developing individual and fully operational workflows for filing a range of financial documents, including EDGAR 1 and EDGAR 2, proxy statements, and those documents related to mutual funds, IPOs, and mergers and acquisitions (M&As)
Aptara implemented a round-the-clock operation, with turnaround times of as little as 10-minutes, that:
- Analyzes, tags, validates, and securely processes sensitive financial data in the required XBRL and HTML formats
- Renders XBRL reports for capital markets and mutual funds
- Files formatted financial reports with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)
- Delivers financial reports securely to mobile devices
- Establishes an accredited ISO 27001 publishing co-facility backed by a fully redundant network for the secure transfer of sensitive digital financial data
- Creates parallel publishing workflows for monetizing reporting and compliance documents
- Makes use of best-of-breed content management systems
The economies of scale that Aptara’s dedicated production facility delivers have made this 200+-year-old financial reporting company’s content operations secure, digital, nimble, and cost-effective. Since 2002, the company has:
- Saved more than $75M annually
- Reduced its number of processing facilities from 21 to 9
- Lowered onshore publishing staffing by 65%
- Lowered hiring and training costs
- Eliminated its investments in fixed infrastructure
- Brought greater transparency and clarity to its own financial reporting and that of its clients
Today, Aptara processes the majority of this company’s product offerings, including high-end specialty products—in total, more than two million pages annually.